A guide to public liability insurance for entertainers

A guide to public liability insurance for entertainers

As a performer, or an event service provider, should you get public liability insurance? 

At PartyWizz, we definitely think so. It’s a very small price to pay for a whole lot of peace of mind and security. 

>> Join PartyWizz and get 10% off your public liability  

In this article, I’m going to break down everything you need to know about public liability and how to get started.  

So, whether you are a magician, face painter, DJ, musician, singer or any other entertainer, you should get a good, basic understanding the area.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and this article should not be taken as legal advice. 

Let’s dive in.

What is public liability insurance?

Public liability insurance covers you in case you become legally liable to a member of the public at any of the events you work at.

For example, if someone gets injured at an event you’re working at and it’s your fault, they’re entitled to compensation. 

Unfortunately, these situations can happen anytime regardless of how careful you are. It’s purely the (bad) luck of the draw. 

This is where the insurance covers you; you won’t have to pay for anything out of your pocket. 

What does it cover?

Public liability insurance is specifically designed to provide you / your business cover in case of accidents. Mainly physical injuries (including death or diseases), personal expenses and property damage.

Your public liability insurance will cover your business as a whole, which means it covers your employees (if you have any).

It’s important to note that you are only covered for accidents that happen (or are triggered) during an event you’re working at.

Note: This might not be true for contractors. They’ll probably need public liability of their own.

What isn’t covered?

Public liability is purely for when accidents happen at an event. It doesn’t cover you anywhere else. 

It also doesn’t cover any personal injuries, employee injuries, or damage to your property.

Therefore, you’ll still need insurance for the other areas of your business and personal life:

  • Car 
  • Expensive equipment
  • Health 
  • […]

Lastly, different insurance packages cover entertainers and service providers for different things. For example, if you use fire during your show there is often a premium on the insurance. 

Make sure you choose a package that suits your needs! 

How much does it cost?

The price of the insurance will depend on where you live, where you perform, the size of your business and the type of service you provide. 

For example, in Ireland, a single entertainer who performs a “non-dangerous” act, should be able to find public liability insurance packages that range from 150 to 250 euros a year.  However, offerings vary considerably so do shop around.

Is it a legal requirement?

This depends on where you live but generally, public liability insurance is not a legal requirement.

However, a lot of venues require entertainers and service providers to have liability for events. The same is true for certain corporate events. 

By not being covered you are locking yourself out of part of the market. 

At PartyWizz, we currently don’t currently require it but we strongly recommend that our partners get public liability insurance. 

Our policy is to operate with full transparency. Entertainers who are covered have a badge on their profiles. 

What’s the difference with employers’ liability? 

The difference lies in who makes the claims against your business. 

If the claim is made by someone outside your company you’ll want public liability insurance. On the other hand, if the claim is made by someone inside your company you’ll want employers’ liability. 

Employers’ liability is designed to protect you in case your employees sustain injuries, diseases or death during their employment. 

If your entertainment business employs people, you’ll also want to get employers’’ liability to cover your employees. Although it’s not generally a legal requirement it should be considered essential. 

How do I get public liability insurance? 

The easiest way to get public liability is to contact an insurance broker. If you do a Google search for public liability in your area a few should show up.

If you’re based in Ireland there are a few companies you can work with

  • IOMST – insurance for entertainers and performers
  • Liability cover – A general insurance liability company that cover entertainers
  • Musician insurance – As the name implies, insurance for musicians.

At PartyWizz, we’ve partnered with an insurance provider and we offer a 10% discount to all of our members on one of the most competitively priced policies in the market. 

Closing Thoughts

Hopefully, this article has given you everything you need to get started. If you have any questions or comments about the content, please get in touch!

If you aren’t a PartyWizz member, you can learn about us on our website. We’re an end-to-end booking platform created ‘for entertainers by entertainers’.

>> Join PartyWizz and get 10% off your public liability